Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Virtual Libraries

The term virtual library conjures up pictures of a Princess Peach type character running through stacks of books in a Nintendo created library. I can see her going through the stacks and finally pulling out a specific book, then as she removes it, the text opening in front of you for you to read. My foray into virtual libraries proved me wrong, although I still like the image.  As I searched for virtual libraries I found that their were many: general information sites, university sites, government sites, and specific subject sites. Each site promises a world of digital resources, all organized and available. The sites I explored, Virtual Library and Bibliomania had their information organized differently. The Virtual Library had its subjects listed alphabetically. When you chose a specific subject, for example The Arts, it gave you subheadings with a short descriptor under each one. I tried Education first, but was told it could not connect to the server. I chose Art History and it then gave an alphabetical list of all of the topics related to Art History.  there I ended up in the Intute site which promised that each resource was evaluated and categorized. I tried various key words to search for specific information but was not overly successful. In Bibliomania, their content was organized into general categories: text, study guides and reference. The text was then subcategorized into fiction, non-fiction and genres. From there you were asked for a specific author. I also looked at the archives in the University of California, but found it to be very specific and dry. What I learned from this was that as you search for material in virtual libraries, you really need to know what you are looking for, and you need to know what types of tags or keywords will help you to hit paydirt.


On line, I discovered thousands of virtual libraries.  As I happened to be in the Vancouver Regional Library (VIRL), I asked the lady behind the counter what she knew of virtual libraries. Before we could continue, I first had to define virtual library to her. She directed me to the libraries on-line services (digital resources) There, they have links to librarian approved websites, over 10,000 full text magazines, newspapers, journals, encyclopedias and reference materials, and thousands of eAudio and eBooks.  The access is simple. You select a subject, enter your library card and away you go. The categories were easy to read through(alphabetical) and the subheadings were clear and straightforward.


In my exploration, I found a very interesting study entitled,'Virtual Libraries on the Web, Dream or Reality?'  done by Tula Giannini, an associate professor at the Pratt Institute (University of Conneticut) . She is also a Dean. Unfortunately, I could not find a date of publication, but her conclusions were enlightening. In it she compares the 'real' library (a physical library) to the virtual library  (access to information limited to the internet and the web.)   Her definition of the two terms makes complete sense to me, so for the purpose of this blog those are the definitions I will use. 


In her study, Giannini had 22 students do research in both worlds. The results showed that students really enjoyed having a librarian that they could speak with face to face. They found that they were more focussed in a library and their time was managed better. They also felt more assured in the knowledge that the information they received was reliable, and relevant information was easier to find. A library provided students with an instant learning community. Most students also found it easier to read a book than a screen. On line on the other hand, was far more convenient and easily accessible. They also felt the material on line was more updated and current, although they struggled to find relevant material in the overwhelming amount available.


Giannini summarizes the concerns about on line resources by stating that "in a virtual world... distinctions are increasingly blurred between communication and information, published and unpublished, private and public, free and fee, author and reader, written and spoken, edition and update, original and copy, permanence and progress." He concludes that "more online searching instruction and research help is needed." It seems to me that virtual libraries need virtual librarians that can be reached easily and can help students to find what they are looking for just as a real librarian does. I also think that with the way social networking on line is advancing, students can more readily create an on line learning community like the one found in a library.


At our school, our technology expert encourages students not to 'Google' for information, but to use  specific research sites like Ebsco (also used by VIRL) or the Thompson Gale online databases . She is trying to ensure students are accessing creditable materials. and that they are reading at a level appropriate to them. It is the start of the teaching kids how to use the internet in responsible ways that benefit their education. We still have a long way to go in teaching them that just because it is printed, doesn't make it true.


The virtual library sites that I visited, showed me that some of Giannini's concerns are being dealt with. Librarians are starting to compile on line materials that have been researched and found creditable. They are assembling and managing on line materials. This is a huge step. Many sites however, still don't make it easy to find what you are looking for. There is a ton of information and the organization is inconsistent and hard to navigate through. As a librarian, if I can create a list of virtual libraries that have creditable materials at an appropriate reading age for my students, then I have saved them countless hours and they can proceed knowing that what they research is 'ok'. If I can also teach them how to choose keywords that help them with their search, so much the better.


My initial image of Princess Peach in her virtual library, then, is not so far removed from what I feel is needed to make them work. Giannini concluded that real libraries need to integrate with virtual libraries to enhance learning. We need the best of both worlds to truly have an exemplary experience. The virtual world needs to have reliable resources, an abundance of full-text availability, a connection to other learners, and easy to use search engines to enable students to find relevant materials. If real libraries can provide the space, equipment, materials and guidance for people, then virtual libraries will be used more frequently. People need guidance, and they need to be shown how to properly access and use these tools to make them worthwhile. I see that as an important role of any librarian today.

3 comments:

  1. The Vancouver library sounds phenomenal. University of Calgary has begun building a virtual library within a new library building. It will house only Web 2.0 applicaitons and content and I believe there are 3 levels. It sounds incredible too. Check it out at http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/december2006/ccdl-taylor/

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recent news from the Calgary Herald is that Taylor Family Digital Library is supposed to open in 2010. I really enjoyed some of the comments on that Calgary Herald story from readers. The story mentions that anyone with an Alberta library card (I assume they mean a TAL card) can borrow books and access resources. Readers were delighted. Of course, this tickles me because that is already true in ALL Alberta libraries. I'm glad people love with Alberta libraries provide... if we could only make sure they ALL knew about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think what you said about virtual libraries still needing a virtual librarian is very true. Regardless of how technology advances, I think that library users will always need a real live librarian to motivate them, to teach them how to access pertinant and accurate information, and to teach students necessary information literacy skills.

    ReplyDelete