Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Sharing Web 2.0 

This upcoming year will be one of many new beginnings for me. I am not changing schools, but my role within the school will be significantly different. For the past 20 odd years, I have been a classroom teacher, and every year, the assignment and/or grade levels have varied, so I have never felt stagnant or in a rut, but this year I'm stepping out of the classroom. I am going to be the teacher-librarian in the school with 4 blocks of library time in which to ensure that the library is a vibrant, up-to-date, welcoming useful part of the school and the librarian a helpful, collaborative teacher and colleague. I am also taking on a one block teacher leader position in which I hope to work collaboratively with teachers in our school to ensure that our assessment and teaching practices are consistent and in line with what works best for students. As well, I'll be in the classroom for three blocks teaching. 
 As I reflect on all of the Web 2.0 tools, and decide which one I am most likely to share with colleagues, I find it difficult to choose just one, and certainly hope to introduce more than one throughout the course of the year, but to start?  What is going to be the most valuable for teachers and students in my school? 
Carol Simpson in her blog, The School Librarian's Role in the Electronic Age, notes that 'new more student-centred teaching methods, requires that the librarian venture from the library to collaborate with teachers and administrators.' Charlotte Danielson in her section on Teachers as Leaders (The Many Faces of Leadership, September 2007, Vol. 65, #1, pages 14-19) concludes that 'in the most successful schools, teachers supported by administrators take initiative to improve school wide policies and programs, teaching and learning, and communication.' 
As the largest part of my job next year will be collaboration: with students, with teachers and with administration, the tool that best comes to mind is wikis because 'the social nature of the wiki makes it ideal for group projects.'(Laura K. Booth,"Old School", Meet School Library 2.0)  
During the Web 2.0 course, I started a book review page on a wiki. I want to continue with it in the fall. I'm going to start by spending time going over my wiki with teachers on staff. I want to encourage teachers to have their students add to the wiki based on the reading they have done. As I also teach an English 9 course, my students will start by each writing up a book that they read over the summer. This will give us a base. I will also invite students who frequent the library to put their reading onto the wiki. It is my hope that as teachers begin their literature circles or are looking for novels for sustained silent reading, they will refer students to the sight to help them choose a book. Throughout the year, students can continue to create new reviews, or add to old if someone else has read the book, or perhaps, we publish the best from each class on the wiki, but all students can look through it as it builds and see what other students in the school are reading, and if there is anything that catches their eye. 
The collaborative nature of the wiki means we will have constantly changing 'reviews' and hopefully build up a sort of in-school wikipedia for books that are being read by students in the school. Clay Burell who has done collaborative work with students both within a school and on a more global scale, found that 'for teens collaboration in a building is far more engaging than around the globe,' so having them start by collaborating on a school based wiki makes sense.  I don't foresee much difficulty getting contributors as the students are empowered to become authors in their own area of interest. (John Bidder, pg. 87, Coming of Age.) 
I still need to address concerns I have about confidentiality, but I think I've found a way to get everyone exposed to wikis and contributing with a privacy setting that removes the risk of outside influences. Students will also create user names, so they are not posting personal information on line. Because students who want to contribute will have to sign up first, and do it through the librarian (me) or perhaps through their classroom teacher, we won't be getting any unknown input, yet everyone can access the information. 
 I plan to share with teachers all of the tools I've used throughout the Web 2.0 course, and give them the examples of things I created. I'm certain other staff members have areas of expertise within the read, write web, and I hope to find out what they are and encourage them to share.  I plan to continue blogging, and to use other people's blog postings as discussion instigators, so hope to lure people to the edublogosphere in that way. Using the wiki as a working example in a whole school setting, where I can work with my colleagues to encourage their students to input information, and to get other students to use the information provided to help them pick a book, is a simple, useful, collaborative endeavour for all.

1 comment:

  1. I like your idea of creating a book review wiki. That's a great way to introduce both staff and students to Web 2.0 technologies. I think I may have to borrow that idea!

    ReplyDelete